Monday, July 13, 2009

My Birthday

Remember when you were a kid and birthday's were the most exciting day EVER (after Christmas day, of course)? When did that feeling go away?
It doesn't seem that long ago that I would count down the days until my birthday. I wouldn't be able to sleep the night(s) before and I would wake up in the morning and pounce from my bed ready for the non-stop-Kathryn-love-parade to begin.
I can't quite pin-point the year that birthdays stopped being so exciting for me. It's actually been more of a gradual process of de-excitment. But I'm pretty sure that I no longer enjoy them as much as I probably should. I actually prefer to not have the attention on me...to fly quietly under the radar.
I actually remember being a kid and wondering why my parents weren't super excited about their birthdays. Mom would always ask for "a day of peace and quiet". I always thought that she was just being nice and not wanting us to spend our money. But now I know that that's what she really wanted. I day to herself to just do whatever she wanted to do....without 4 kids hanging off her side!!
Today is my birthday. I've had a lovely day....lots of calls and emails from friends. A great lunch out on a patio in the sun. We ordered in dinner and Michael picked up a cake and wine. Lots of hugs and kisses from Maddy. A good birthday overall :)

No comments:

Post a Comment